WebSightings from 2021
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to some
of these articles and news reports appearing in 2021 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2020 can be accessed here.
If you find any dead links, please email the . Thanks.
________________________ 2021 ______________________
- Fossils of Giant Sea Scorpion
Found in China, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, October 11, 2021.
- Huge Hippos Roamed Britain One
Million Years Ago, Sci News, October 7, 2021.
- The Climate-Driven Mass Extinction No
One Had Seen Before, Marie Claire Chelini, Phys.Org, October 7, 2021.
- Giant Ammonites Once
Thrived on Both Sides of the Atlantic, Sci News, October 4, 2021.
390-Million-Year-Old Trilobite Fossil Had a Bunch of Tiny Eyes Inside Its Eyes, Mike McRae, Science Alert, October 3, 2021.
- Two New Species
of Large Predatory Dinosaur With Crocodile-like Skulls Discovered on the Isle of Wight, University of Southampton, September 29, 2021.
- First Mixopterid Eurypterids Found in China, Li Yuan,
Phys.Org, September 29, 2021.
- Dinosaurs' Ascent Driven by Volcanoes Powering Climate Change,
University of Birmingham, Science Daily, September 27, 2021.
- 11-Million-Year-Old Fossil of Large-Sized
Otter Found in Germany, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, September 17, 2021.
- 36,000 Gigatons of
Carbon Heralded History's Biggest Mass Extinction, Doug Johnson, Ars Technica, September 17, 2021.
- New Giant Penguin Species Unearthed in
New Zealand, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, September 16, 2021.
- T. Rex
Wasn't Always at the Top of the Food Chain. Meet What Came Before., Laura Geggel, Science Alert, September 9, 2021.
Burgess Shale 'Mothership' Discovery Has Paleontologist Giddy With Excitement, David Bell, CBC News, September 8, 2021.
- How to Collect Crystals,
Malia Wollan, New York Times Magazine, August 31, 2021.
- Take a Walk
Through P.E.I's Prehistoric Past, Jane Robertson, CBC News, August 28, 2021. P.E.I. is the acronym for Prince Edward Island.
- Two New Appalachian Dinosaurs
Discovered, Sci News, August 27, 2021.
- Fossils Seized in Police Raid
Demystify a Prehistoric Flying Reptile, Vimal Patel, New York Times, August 27, 2021.
- Paleontologists Find
231-Million-Year-Old Fossil of Tuatara-Like Reptile, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, August 26, 2021.
- Isotopes Reveal the
Incredible Lifetime Journey of an Arctic Woolly Mammoth, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Sci Tech Daily, August 21, 2021.
- Rare Cambrian Fossils from Utah Reveal Unexpected
Anatomical Complexity in Earth Comb Jellies, Harvard University, Phys.Org, August 20, 2021.
- This Brain Remained Intact in a 310 Million-Year-Old
Fossil, Priyanka Runwal, New York Times, August 18, 2021.
- Two New Species of Sauropod Dinosaurs
Unearthed in China, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, August 16, 2021.
- Study: These
Ancient Straight-Shelled Cephalopods Lived the Vertical Life, Jennifer Ouellette, Ars Technica, August 13, 2021.
- Catastrophic End-Cretaceous Extinction Was Not
Dramatic for Sharks, Study Shows, Sci News, August 11, 2021.
- 100,000-Year-Old Fossil of
Giant Vampire Bat Found in Argentina, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci New, July 26, 2021.
- A 'Golden Nail' - Quarry Near
Salzgitter, Germany Becomes Global Geological Reference Point, Goethe University Frankfurt, Sci Tech Daily, July 25, 2021.
- 3D Printed Replicas Reveal Swimming
Capabilities of Ancient Cephalopods, University of Utah, Phys.Org, July 16, 2021.
- 3.42-Billion-Year-Old Filamentous
Microfossils Found in South Africa, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, July 15, 2021.
- The City of David and
the Sharks' Teeth Mystery, Goldschmidt Conference, Phys.Org, July 4, 2021.
- Paleontologists Find
New Beetle Species in Coprolite of Triassic Dinosaur Relative, Sci News, July 1, 2021.
'Catastrophe' Turned This Nursery into a Graveyard 500 Million Years Ago, Brandon Specktor, Live Science, July 1, 2021.
- Discovery of 'Dragon Man' Skull in China May
Add Species to Human Family Tree, Carl Zimmer, New York Times, June 25, 2021.
- Why Geology is Our Destiny,
Dennis Overbye, New York Times, June 22, 2021.
- UK's Youngest Dinosaur Footprints Found,
Sci News, June 21, 2021.
- A Mysterious Crater's Age May Add Clues
to the Dinosaur Extinction, Becky Ferreira, New York Times, June 18, 2021. Despite its title, the article states that the impact that
created this crater likely had nothing to do with the dinosaur extinction.
- Tibet Was Crossroads For
Giant Rhino Dispersal, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Phys.Org, June 17, 2021.
- Meet 'Cooper,' The Largest Aussie Dinosaur,
Jennifer Hassan and Miriam Berger, Washington Post, June 8, 2021.
- School Lesson Gone Wrong Leads to New, Bigger Megalodon
Size Estimate, Florida Museum of Natural History, Science Daily, June 7, 2021.
How the Earth's Tumultuous History Gave the Mid-Atlantic its Beloved Destinations, Walter Nicklin, Washington Post, June 4, 2021.
- The Rise and Fall of the World's Largest
Lake, Sid Perkins, Science, June 4, 2021.
- Something Mysteriously Wiped Out About 90 Percent
of Sharks 19 Million Years Ago, Carolyn Gramling, Science News, June 3, 2021.
- Meeting Peale's Mastodon, Ben, Extinct
Monsters blog, June 2, 2021.
- Young T. rexes Had a Powerful Bite,
Capable of Exerting One-Sixth the Force of an Adult, University of California-Berkeley, Science Daily, June 2, 2021.
- New Species of Duck-Billed
Dinosaur Unearthed in New Mexico, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, May 31, 2021.
- Egyptian Fossil Surprise: Fishes Thrived
in Tropics in Ancient Warm Period, Despite High Ocean Temps, University of Michigan, Science Daily, May 25, 2021.
- Oligocene Whale Had Both Teeth and Baleen, New
Research Shows, Sci News, May 25, 2021.
Park Ranger Stumbles Upon Treasure Trove of Several-Million-Year-Old Fossils in Northern California, Elizabeth Gamillo,
Smithsonian Magazine, May 24, 2021.
- Pandemic Paleo: A Wayward Skull, At-Home Analyses,
A First for Antarctic Amphibians, University of Washington, Science Daily, May 21, 2021.
- The Charlotte Whale: Unexpected
Discovery of a Whale Skeleton Hundreds of Miles from the Sea, Adam Voiland, Sci Tech Daily, May 21, 2021.
- Fossil of North America's Earliest Side-Necked
Turtle Unearthed, Sci News, May 21, 2021.
- Earth's Worst Mass Extinction
Took 10 Times Longer on Land Than in the Water, Field Museum, Sci Tech Daily, May 16, 2021.
- Ankle and Foot Bone Evolution Gave Prehistoric Mammals a Leg Up,
University of Edinburgh, Science Daily, May 13, 2021.
- Unearthing California's Prehistoric Past,
Ashley Gebb, Chico State Today, May 10, 2021.
Geologists Find Fragments of Planet's Inner Mantle in Baltimore-Area Formations, Jean Marabella, The Washington Post, May 7, 2021.
I Found a 480-Million-Year-Old Fossil in My Garden, Siddak Gursang Singh Nirankari Jhamat, The Guardian, May 7, 2021.
- Making Sense of Dinosaurs and Birds, Lawrence
M. Witmer, Science, May 7, 2021.
- Nocturnal Dinosaurs: Night Vision and Superb Hearing in a Small Theropod Suggest It Was a Moonlight Predator,
Lars Schmitz, et al., The Conversation, May 6, 2021.
- Fossil 'Balls'
Are 1 Billion Years Old and Could Be Earth's Oldest Multicellular Life, Mindy Weisberger, Live Science, May 6, 2021.
- Giant Saber-Toothed Cat
Roamed North America During Miocene, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, May 4, 2021.
- Meet Yamatosaurus izanagii, New Hadrosaur
From Japan, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, April 28, 2021.
- 'Dead Clades Walking': Fossil Record Provides
New Insights into Mass Extinctions, Pennsylvania State University, Science Daily, April 20, 2021.
Mass Fossil Site May Prove Tyrannosaurs Lived in Packs, Sophia Eppolito, Washington Post, April 19, 2021.
- Absolute Abundance and Preservation Rate of
Tyrannosaurus rex, Charles R. Marshall, et al. Science. April 16, 2021.
- Flying Giant
Pterosaurs Had Longer Neck Than a Giraffe, Say Experts, Rhi Storer, The Guardian, April 14, 2021.
- These Rocks Made a
1,000-Mile Trek. Did Dinosaurs Carry Them?, Lucas Joel, The New York Times, April 9, 2021.
- Two New Species of
Cretaceous Mammal Relatives Unearthed in China, Sci News, April 8, 2021.
- New Zealanders Are Rallying to Save Local Fossils From
Destruction, Kate Evans, Atlas Obscura, April 6, 2021.
- Fossil Discovery Deepens Snakefly Mystery, Simon Fraser University,
Science Daily, April 6, 2021.
- Septarian Nodules, R.L. Squires, Paleo & Geo Topics blog, april 5, 2021.
- Trilobites Were Leg Breathers, New Research Shows,
SciNews, April 2, 2021.
- Prior to the Chicxulub
Impact, Rainforests Looked Very Different, Doug Johnson, Ars Technica, April 1, 2021.
- The "One Who Causes Fear" -
Extremely Powerful New Meat-Eating Predator Discovered, Taylor and Francis Group, Sci Tech Daily, March 31, 2021.
- How Ancient 'Deer' Lost
Their Legs and Became Whales, Joshua Lapp Learn, Discover, March 19, 2021.
- This Eagle Shark Once Soared
Through Ancient Seas Near Mexico, Gretchen Vogel, Science, March 18, 2021.
- Jurassic Gliding
Mammal Relative Sheds New Light on Evolution of Mammalian Middle Ear, Sci News, March 16, 2021.
- SCientists Stunned to Find Plants
Beneath Mile-Deep Greenland Ice, University of Vermont, Science Daily, March 15, 2021.
Jaw-Dropping Fossil Find Contains a Dinosaur Sitting on an Entire Clutch of Eggs, Carly Cassella, Science Alert, March 10, 2021.
- Permian Tree Fossil Sheds Light on Ancient
Evolutionary Race, Science News, March 10, 2021.
- Long-Accepted Theory of Vertebrate Origin
Upended by Fossilized Lamprey Larvae, Canadian Museum of Nature, Science Daily, March 10, 2021.
- Rare Meteorite Chunk
Traced by Scientists to Gloucestershire Driveway, Ian Sample, The Guardian, March 8, 2021.
- Primate Ancestor of All Humans
Probably Roamed With the Dinosaurs, Patrick Pester, Live Science, March 4, 2021.
Answer to Fossil Record Puzzle May Lie With Teenage T rexes, Study Finds, Linda Geddes, The Guardian, February 25, 2021.
- New Australian Fossil Lizard, Flinders University, Phys.Org,
February 16, 2021.
Astronomers: A Comet Fragment, Not an Asteroid, Killed Off the Dinosaurs, Jennifer Ouellette, Ars Technica, February 15, 2021.
- Cretaceous-Period Ammonite Had Bizarre Shell, Enrico de Lazaro,
Sci News, February 15, 2021.
- Study: First Flowering Plants
Appeared in Jurassic Period or Even Earlier, Sci News, February 9, 2021.
- How Rocks Rusted on Earth and Turned Red, Rutgers University,
Science Daily, February 8, 2021.
- The Permian Extinction:
Life on Earth Nearly Disappeared During the 'Great Dying', Cody Cottier, Discover, February 5, 2021.
- Devonian Fish's
Inner Ear Sheds Light on Earliest Evolution of Jawed Vertebrates, Sci News, February 1, 2021.
- This Ammonite Was
Fossilized Outside Its Shell, Sabrina Imbler, New York Times, January 31, 2021.
- Stunningly Preserved
220-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprint Discovered by 4-Year-Old, Sophia Ankel, Business Insider, as posted by Science Alert,
January 31, 2021.
- Paleontologists Find 635-Million-Year-Old
Land Fungus-Like Fossils, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 28, 2021.
Ancient Marvels: The First Shell-Crushing Predators Ground Up Their Prey Between Their Legs, Russell Dean Christopher Bicknell, et al.,
The Conversation, January 26, 2021.
- Fossil of Cretaceous-Period
Praying Mantis Found in Canada, Sci News, January 22, 2021.
- How Did Forelimb Function
Change As Vertebrates Acquired Limbs and Moved Onto Land?, Harvard University, Phys.Org, January 22, 2021.
- Giant Predatory Worm's Ancient
Fossil Burrows Discovered, Emily Chung, CBC News, January 21, 2021.
World's Oldest-Known Starfish Dating Back 480 Million Years Is Unearthed in Morocco, Ian Randall, Daily Mail, January 19, 2021.
- The Ordovician Extinction:
Our Planet's First Brush With Death, Cody Cottier, Discover, January 16, 2021.
- Rare, Nearly Complete
Fossil Reveals 'Giant Among Jurassic Sharks', Amanda Kooser, CNET, January 15, 2021.
- Fossils of New Vulture Species Found in Cuba,
Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 13, 2021.
- Pioneering Research
Reveals How Teeth Functioned in Giant Mega-Sharks, University of Bristol, Sci Tech Daily, January 13, 2021.
- Fossils' Soft Tissues Helping to Solve Puzzle That Vexed Darwin,
University of Edinburgh, Phys.Org, January 12, 2021.
- Did Dinosaurs Sleep at Night?, Riley Black, Discover,
January 12, 2021.
'Hell Ant' Stuck in Amber Has Been Biting Its Prey For 99 Million Years, Carly Cassella, Science Alert, January 10, 2021.
- Megalodons Gave Birth to Large Newborns That Likely Grew By Eating Unhatched
Eggs in Womb, Science Daily, January 10, 2021.
- Another Thing a Triceratops Shares With an
Elephant, Becky Ferreira, The New York Times, January 8, 2021.
- Leaf Fossils Show Severe End-Cretaceous Plant Extinction
in Southern Argentina, Pennsylvania State University, Phys.Org, January 5, 2021.
- Massachusetts Lawmaker Wants to Name Official State Dinosaur, Phys.Org,
January 5, 2021.
- Geology Is at a Crossroads, Rocky Planet, Discover, January 4, 2021.