WebSightings from 2020
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to some
of these articles and news reports appearing in 2020 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2019 can be accessed here.
If you find any dead links, please email the . Thanks.
________________________ 2020 ______________________
- How Shark-Toothed Dinosaurs Came
to Rule the World, Riley Black, Discover Magazine, March 27, 2020.
- New Pterosaur Fossils Unearthed in
Morocco, Natali Anderson, Sci News, March 26, 2020.
- Darkness, Not Cold,
Likely Responsible for Dinosaur-Killing Extinction, Lauren Lipuma, Phys.Org, March 20, 2020.
- Unprecedented Preservation of
Fossil Feces From the La Brea Tar Pits, University of Oklahoma, Phys.Org, March 20, 2020.
- Devonian Four-Limbed Creature
Reveals Insights into How Vertebrate Hand Evolved From Fish Fins, Sci News, March 19, 2020.
- 'Wonderchicken' Fossil From the Age of Dinosaurs
Reveals Origin of Modern Birds, University of Cambridge, Phys.Org, March 18, 2020.
- Mysterious Ancient Sea-Worm Pegged as New Genus
After Half-Century in 'Wastebasket', University of Kansas, Phys.Org, March 17, 2020.
- They Knew Saber-Toothed Tigers Were Big. Then They Found This Skull.,
Joshu Sokol, New York Times, March 14, 2020.
- Paleontologists Find New Dinosaur Tracks on Scotland's Isle of
Skye, Sci New, March 13, 2020.
- How To Sex A Dinosaur, Josh Davis, Natural History Museum London,
March 12, 2020.
- Smallest Extinct Dinosaur
Ever Found Was Size of Hummingbird, Emily Chung, CBC News, March 11, 2020.
- Ancient Shell Shows Days Were Half-Hour Shorter 70 Million Years Ago,
American Geophysical Union, Science Daily, March 9, 2020.
- New Tiny 44 Million Year Old Bird Fossil Links Africa and
Asia to Utah, Midwestern University, Phys.Org, March 3, 2020.
- Scientists Find Chemical Markers of DNA in Calcified Cartilage of Duck-Billed
Dinosaur, Sci News, March 3, 2020.
- Mud Curls That Resemble Arthropod Appendages, R.L. Squires,
PALEO & GEO TOPICS: Comments blog, March 2, 2020.
- Dinosaur-Age Cockroaches Are the
Earliest Known Cave Dwellers, James Urquhart, Cosmos Magazine, February 28, 2020.
- Mystery Surrounding Dinosaur Footprints on a Cave Ceiling in
Central Queensland Solved, Science Daily, February 26, 2020.
Fossil Eggshells Suggest All Dinosaurs May Have Been Warm-Blooded, Gemma Tarlach, Discover, February 14, 2020.
- Extinct Giant Turtle Had Horned
Shell of up to Three Meters, University of Zurich, Phys.Org, February 12, 2020.
- Canada's Newest Tyrannosaur Is
Named for a 'Reaper of Death', Nicholas St. Fleur, New York Times, February 11, 2020.
Oldest Evidence of Modern Bees Found in Argentina, Michael Greshko, National Geographic, February 11, 2020.
- Fossil of Sea Monster With Needle-Sharp
Snout Found on Alaskan Island, Thomson Reuters, CBC, February 5, 2020.
- 'Oldest Bamboo' Fossil From
Eocene Patagonia Turns Out to Be a Conifer, Pensoft Publishers, Phys.Org, February 4, 2020.
- Fossil Reveals How Feathered Dinosaurs Differed From Birds,
posted by Eleanor Imster in Earth, EarthSky, January 31, 2020.
- Fossil Footprints Reveal
Ecosystem in Midst of a Mass Extinction, Gemma Tarlach, Discover, January 29, 2020.
- New Species of Allosaurus Discovered in Utah, University of Utah, Phys.Org,
January 24, 2020.
- 715-Million-Year-Old Fungi Microfossils Found, Natali Anderson,
Sci News, January 24, 2020.
- Stingray Stinger and Teeth, R. L. Squires, Paleo & Geo Topics: Comments blog,
January 19, 2020.
- Meteorite or Volcano? New Clues to the Dinosaurs'
Demise, Lucas Joel, New York Times, January 16, 2020.
- Oldest Known Scorpion May Have Been
First to Explore Land, Gemma Tarlach, Discover, January 16, 2020.
- Super Computer Scours Fossil Record for Earth's Hidden Extinctions, Ewen Callaway,
Nature, January 16, 2020.
- How Nodules Stay on Top at the Bottom of the Sea, Geological
Society of America, Phys.Org, January 14, 2020.
Stardust Is the Oldest Stuff on Earth, Ben Guarino, Washington Post, January 13, 2020.
- World's Oldest Slime Mold Found in Amber, Enrico
de Lazaro, Sci News, January 13, 2020.
- Oldest Guts
Ever Found May Reveal the Identify of a Mysterious Primordial Creature, Stephanie Pappas, Live Science, January 10, 2020.
- What Did Dinosaurs Smell
Like?, Riley Black, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, January 8, 2020.
Seashells Show Signs of Ocean Acidification Before Dinosaur-Annihilating Asteroid, National Science Foundation,
Phys.Org, January 7, 2020.
Fossils Will Modern-Day Civilization Leave Behind?, Eva Frederick, Science, January 6, 2020.
- Inspired Fossil Hunt
for the New Year, Kentuckiana Mike, Louisville Fossils blog, January 1, 2020.
- Researchers Learn More About Teen-Age T.Rex,
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences, Phys.Org, January 1, 2020.