WebSightings from 2021
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to some
of these articles and news reports appearing in 2021 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2020 can be accessed here.
If you find any dead links, please email the . Thanks.
________________________ 2021 ______________________
- New Australian Fossil Lizard, Flinders University, Phys.Org,
February 16, 2021.
Astronomers: A Comet Fragment, Not an Asteroid, Killed Off the Dinosaurs, Jennifer Ouellette, Ars Technica, February 15, 2021.
- Cretaceous-Period Ammonite Had Bizarre Shell, Enrico de Lazaro,
Sci News, February 15, 2021.
- Study: First Flowering Plants
Appeared in Jurassic Period or Even Earlier, Sci News, February 9, 2021.
- How Rocks Rusted on Earth and Turned Red, Rutgers University,
Science Daily, February 8, 2021.
- The Permian Extinction:
Life on Earth Nearly Disappeared During the 'Great Dying', Cody Cottier, Discover, February 5, 2021.
- Devonian Fish's
Inner Ear Sheds Light on Earliest Evolution of Jawed Vertebrates, Sci News, February 1, 2021.
- This Ammonite Was
Fossilized Outside Its Shell, Sabrina Imbler, New York Times, January 31, 2021.
- Stunningly Preserved
220-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprint Discovered by 4-Year-Old, Sophia Ankel, Business Insider, as posted by Science Alert,
January 31, 2021.
- Paleontologists Find 635-Million-Year-Old
Land Fungus-Like Fossils, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 28, 2021.
Ancient Marvels: The First Shell-Crushing Predators Ground Up Their Prey Between Their Legs, Russell Dean Christopher Bicknell, et al.,
The Conversation, January 26, 2021.
- Fossil of Cretaceous-Period
Praying Mantis Found in Canada, Sci News, January 22, 2021.
- How Did Forelimb Function
Change As Vertebrates Acquired Limbs and Moved Onto Land?, Harvard University, Phys.Org, January 22, 2021.
- Giant Predatory Worm's Ancient
Fossil Burrows Discovered, Emily Chung, CBC News, January 21, 2021.
World's Oldest-Known Starfish Dating Back 480 Million Years Is Unearthed in Morocco, Ian Randall, Daily Mail, January 19, 2021.
- The Ordovician Extinction:
Our Planet's First Brush With Death, Cody Cottier, Discover, January 16, 2021.
- Rare, Nearly Complete
Fossil Reveals 'Giant Among Jurassic Sharks', Amanda Kooser, CNET, January 15, 2021.
- Fossils of New Vulture Species Found in Cuba,
Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 13, 2021.
- Pioneering Research
Reveals How Teeth Functioned in Giant Mega-Sharks, University of Bristol, Sci Tech Daily, January 13, 2021.
- Fossils' Soft Tissues Helping to Solve Puzzle That Vexed Darwin,
University of Edinburgh, Phys.Org, January 12, 2021.
- Did Dinosaurs Sleep at Night?, Riley Black, Discover,
January 12, 2021.
'Hell Ant' Stuck in Amber Has Been Biting Its Prey For 99 Million Years, Carly Cassella, Science Alert, January 10, 2021.
- Megalodons Gave Birth to Large Newborns That Likely Grew By Eating Unhatched
Eggs in Womb, Science Daily, January 10, 2021.
- Another Thing a Triceratops Shares With an
Elephant, Becky Ferreira, The New York Times, January 8, 2021.
- Leaf Fossils Show Severe End-Cretaceous Plant Extinction
in Southern Argentina, Pennsylvania State University, Phys.Org, January 5, 2021.
- Massachusetts Lawmaker Wants to Name Official State Dinosaur, Phys.Org,
January 5, 2021.
- Geology Is at a Crossroads, Rocky Planet, Discover, January 4, 2021.