WebSightings from 2021
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to some
of these articles and news reports appearing in 2021 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2020 can be accessed here.
If you find any dead links, please email the . Thanks.
________________________ 2021 ______________________
Geologists Find Fragments of Planet's Inner Mantle in Baltimore-Area Formations, Jean Marabella, The Washington Post, May 7, 2021.
I Found a 480-Million-Year-Old Fossil in My Garden, Siddak Gursang Singh Nirankari Jhamat, The Guardian, May 7, 2021.
- Making Sense of Dinosaurs and Birds, Lawrence
M. Witmer, Science, May 7, 2021.
- Nocturnal Dinosaurs: Night Vision and Superb Hearing in a Small Theropod Suggest It Was a Moonlight Predator,
Lars Schmitz, et al., The Conversation, May 6, 2021.
- Fossil 'Balls'
Are 1 Billion Years Old and Could Be Earth's Oldest Multicellular Life, Mindy Weisberger, Live Science, May 6, 2021.
- Giant Saber-Toothed Cat
Roamed North America During Miocene, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, May 4, 2021.
- Meet Yamatosaurus izanagii, New Hadrosaur
From Japan, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, April 28, 2021.
- 'Dead Clades Walking': Fossil Record Provides
New Insights into Mass Extinctions, Pennsylvania State University, Science Daily, April 20, 2021.
Mass Fossil Site May Prove Tyrannosaurs Lived in Packs, Sophia Eppolito, Washington Post, April 19, 2021.
- Absolute Abundance and Preservation Rate of
Tyrannosaurus rex, Charles R. Marshall, et al. Science. April 16, 2021.
- Flying Giant
Pterosaurs Had Longer Neck Than a Giraffe, Say Experts, Rhi Storer, The Guardian, April 14, 2021.
- These Rocks Made a
1,000-Mile Trek. Did Dinosaurs Carry Them?, Lucas Joel, The New York Times, April 9, 2021.
- Two New Species of
Cretaceous Mammal Relatives Unearthed in China, Sci News, April 8, 2021.
- New Zealanders Are Rallying to Save Local Fossils From
Destruction, Kate Evans, Atlas Obscura, April 6, 2021.
- Fossil Discovery Deepens Snakefly Mystery, Simon Fraser University,
Science Daily, April 6, 2021.
- Septarian Nodules, R.L. Squires, Paleo & Geo Topics blog, april 5, 2021.
- Trilobites Were Leg Breathers, New Research Shows,
SciNews, April 2, 2021.
- Prior to the Chicxulub
Impact, Rainforests Looked Very Different, Doug Johnson, Ars Technica, April 1, 2021.
- The "One Who Causes Fear" -
Extremely Powerful New Meat-Eating Predator Discovered, Taylor and Francis Group, Sci Tech Daily, March 31, 2021.
- How Ancient 'Deer' Lost
Their Legs and Became Whales, Joshua Lapp Learn, Discover, March 19, 2021.
- This Eagle Shark Once Soared
Through Ancient Seas Near Mexico, Gretchen Vogel, Science, March 18, 2021.
- Jurassic Gliding
Mammal Relative Sheds New Light on Evolution of Mammalian Middle Ear, Sci News, March 16, 2021.
- SCientists Stunned to Find Plants
Beneath Mile-Deep Greenland Ice, University of Vermont, Science Daily, March 15, 2021.
Jaw-Dropping Fossil Find Contains a Dinosaur Sitting on an Entire Clutch of Eggs, Carly Cassella, Science Alert, March 10, 2021.
- Permian Tree Fossil Sheds Light on Ancient
Evolutionary Race, Science News, March 10, 2021.
- Long-Accepted Theory of Vertebrate Origin
Upended by Fossilized Lamprey Larvae, Canadian Museum of Nature, Science Daily, March 10, 2021.
- Rare Meteorite Chunk
Traced by Scientists to Gloucestershire Driveway, Ian Sample, The Guardian, March 8, 2021.
- Primate Ancestor of All Humans
Probably Roamed With the Dinosaurs, Patrick Pester, Live Science, March 4, 2021.
Answer to Fossil Record Puzzle May Lie With Teenage T rexes, Study Finds, Linda Geddes, The Guardian, February 25, 2021.
- New Australian Fossil Lizard, Flinders University, Phys.Org,
February 16, 2021.
Astronomers: A Comet Fragment, Not an Asteroid, Killed Off the Dinosaurs, Jennifer Ouellette, Ars Technica, February 15, 2021.
- Cretaceous-Period Ammonite Had Bizarre Shell, Enrico de Lazaro,
Sci News, February 15, 2021.
- Study: First Flowering Plants
Appeared in Jurassic Period or Even Earlier, Sci News, February 9, 2021.
- How Rocks Rusted on Earth and Turned Red, Rutgers University,
Science Daily, February 8, 2021.
- The Permian Extinction:
Life on Earth Nearly Disappeared During the 'Great Dying', Cody Cottier, Discover, February 5, 2021.
- Devonian Fish's
Inner Ear Sheds Light on Earliest Evolution of Jawed Vertebrates, Sci News, February 1, 2021.
- This Ammonite Was
Fossilized Outside Its Shell, Sabrina Imbler, New York Times, January 31, 2021.
- Stunningly Preserved
220-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprint Discovered by 4-Year-Old, Sophia Ankel, Business Insider, as posted by Science Alert,
January 31, 2021.
- Paleontologists Find 635-Million-Year-Old
Land Fungus-Like Fossils, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 28, 2021.
Ancient Marvels: The First Shell-Crushing Predators Ground Up Their Prey Between Their Legs, Russell Dean Christopher Bicknell, et al.,
The Conversation, January 26, 2021.
- Fossil of Cretaceous-Period
Praying Mantis Found in Canada, Sci News, January 22, 2021.
- How Did Forelimb Function
Change As Vertebrates Acquired Limbs and Moved Onto Land?, Harvard University, Phys.Org, January 22, 2021.
- Giant Predatory Worm's Ancient
Fossil Burrows Discovered, Emily Chung, CBC News, January 21, 2021.
World's Oldest-Known Starfish Dating Back 480 Million Years Is Unearthed in Morocco, Ian Randall, Daily Mail, January 19, 2021.
- The Ordovician Extinction:
Our Planet's First Brush With Death, Cody Cottier, Discover, January 16, 2021.
- Rare, Nearly Complete
Fossil Reveals 'Giant Among Jurassic Sharks', Amanda Kooser, CNET, January 15, 2021.
- Fossils of New Vulture Species Found in Cuba,
Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 13, 2021.
- Pioneering Research
Reveals How Teeth Functioned in Giant Mega-Sharks, University of Bristol, Sci Tech Daily, January 13, 2021.
- Fossils' Soft Tissues Helping to Solve Puzzle That Vexed Darwin,
University of Edinburgh, Phys.Org, January 12, 2021.
- Did Dinosaurs Sleep at Night?, Riley Black, Discover,
January 12, 2021.
'Hell Ant' Stuck in Amber Has Been Biting Its Prey For 99 Million Years, Carly Cassella, Science Alert, January 10, 2021.
- Megalodons Gave Birth to Large Newborns That Likely Grew By Eating Unhatched
Eggs in Womb, Science Daily, January 10, 2021.
- Another Thing a Triceratops Shares With an
Elephant, Becky Ferreira, The New York Times, January 8, 2021.
- Leaf Fossils Show Severe End-Cretaceous Plant Extinction
in Southern Argentina, Pennsylvania State University, Phys.Org, January 5, 2021.
- Massachusetts Lawmaker Wants to Name Official State Dinosaur, Phys.Org,
January 5, 2021.
- Geology Is at a Crossroads, Rocky Planet, Discover, January 4, 2021.