WebSightings from 2022
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to some
of these articles and news reports appearing in 2022 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2021 can be accessed here.
________________________ 2022 ______________________
- Peace Accord in Colombia
Leads to Discovery of New Dinosaur Species, Erin Blakemore, Washington Post, October 1, 2022.
- A Quake May Have Uncovered
30 New Dinosaur Tracks in Alaska, Emily Schwing, Washington Post, October 1, 2022.
- Triassic Amphibian Had Bottom-Dwelling Lifestyle,
Sci News, September 29, 2022.
- Ancient Fish Fossils Highlight the Strangeness
of Our Vertebrate Ancestors, Carolyn Gramling, Science News, September 28, 2022.
- Fossil Algae, Dating From 541 Million Years
Ago, Offer New Insights Into the Plant Kingdom's Roots, University of Toronto, Science Daily, September 22, 2022.
- When Fossils Are Accidentally
Dug Up, the Job Site Becomes a Science Lab, Mitch Smith, New York Times, September 20, 2022.
- Chinese Fossil Eggs Show Dinosaur
Decline Before Extinction, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Phys.Org, September 20, 2022.
- New Small Titanosaur Species
Discovered in Brazil, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, September 16, 2022.
- New Curtin-Led Research
Discovers the Heart of Our Evolution, Curtin University (Australia), News, September 16, 2022.
- Fossils Show
Us What a Pig From the Dinosaur Era Might Have Looked Like, Riley Black, Discover, September 16, 2022.
- Fossils of Jurassic Tuatara
Relative Unearthed in Wyoming, Sci News, September 15, 2022.
- What Killed Dinosaurs and Other
Life on Earth?, Harini Barath, News Dartmouth University, September 12, 2022.
- Scientists Shine Light
on 66-Million-Year-old Meteorite Wildfire Mystery, University of Aberdeen, Phys.Org, September 7, 2022.
- Brasilodon is Earliest
Known Mammal, New Research Shows, Sci News, September 7, 2022.
- How a Giant
Eagle Came to Dominate Ancient New Zealand, Boyce Upholt, Ars Technica, September 3, 2022.
- Woman on Beach Finds
Fossil From Unknown Animal Likely Older Than Dinosaurs, Kathy Free, Washington Post, September 2, 2022.
- Mystery Solved: How Did
Dinosaurs Support Their Gigantic Bodies, University of Queensland, Sci Tech Daily, September 2, 2022.
Unravel the Secret of a 45 Million-Year-Old Death Trap, University College Cork, Sci Tech Daily, August 28, 2022.
- Dinosaur Remains
in Portuguese Garden Could Be Europe's Largest Ever Find, Hayden Vernon, The Guardian, August 27, 2022.
- The Latest Find as Water Levels Fall:
Dinosaur Tracks in Texas, April Rubin, New York Times, August 24, 2022.
- Global Warming Spawned the Age of
Reptiles, Harvard University, Science Daily, August 19, 2022.
- New 3D Model Shows: Megalodon Could Eat Prey
the Size of Entire Killer Whales, University of Zurich, Science Daily, August 17, 2022.
- Fossils of 30-Foot Prehistoric
Marine Lizard Unearthed in Texas, Adithi Ramakrishnan, Phys.Org, August 4, 2022.
- Treasure Trove of Jurassic Fossils Discovered
in England, Sci News, August 1, 2022.
- How Mass Extinctions
Can Spur on Evolution, Kate Ravilious, The Guardian, July 27, 2022.
- Pleisiosaur Fossils Found in the Sahara Suggest They
Weren't Just Marine Animals, University of Bath, Science Daily, July 27, 2022.
- 560-Million-Year-Old Fossil Is
Earliest Known Predator, British Geological Survey, Phys.Org, July 27, 2022.
- Study: Insufficient Evidence for
Three Tyrannosaurus Species, Sci News, July 25, 2022.
- Animal Ears Explain
The Evolution of Warm-Bloodedness, Sam Walters, Discover Magazine, July 20, 2022.
- Devonian Four-Legged 'Fishapod' Unearthed in
Canada, Sci News, July 20, 2022.
- Entombed Together: Rare Fossil Flower and
Parasitic Wasp Make for Amber Artwork, Oregon State University, Science Daily, July 11, 2022.
- New Giant Carnivorous Dinosaur Unearthed in
Argentina, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, July 7, 2022.
- They Uncover New Fossils, But They
Also Bite, Annie Roth, New York Times, July 1, 2022.
- Feathers May Have Helped Dinosaurs Survive
Triassic Mass Extinction, Carolyn Gramling, ScienceNews, July 1, 2022.
- How Did Vertebrates Evolve Jaws?,
Keck School of Medicine of USC, Science Daily, June 28, 2022.
- Gold Miner
in Canada Finds Mummified 35,000-Year-Old Baby Woolly Mammoth, Ashifa Kassam, The Guardian, June 26, 2022.
- Vampire Squids
Are Gentle Blobs. But This Ancestor Was a Fierce Hunter., Caroline Gramling, Science News, June 23, 2022.
- What Did Megalodon Eat? Anything It Wanted
Including Other Predators, Liz Fuller-Wright, Phys.Org, June 22, 2022.
- Chinese Fossils Show Human Middle Ear
Evolved From Fish Gills, Li Yuan, Phys.Org, June 17, 2022.
- Gigantic Bear-Dogs Lived in France
12 Million Years Ago, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, June 16, 2022.
- Bizarre Meat-Eating
Dinosaur Found in Classic Fossil Site in Egypt's Sahara Desert, Ohio University, Phys.Org, June 9, 2022.
- Europe's 'Largest Ever' Land Dinosaur Found on the
Isle of Wight, BBC News, June 9, 2022.
- Fossil of Previously Unknown Carnivorous
Dinosaur Found in Egypt, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, June 8, 2022.
- How Mammals Took Over the World,
Carolyn Gramling, ScienceNews, June 7, 2022.
- A Long History of European Geckos, Universitaet Tübingen,
Phys.Org, June 7, 2022.
- An Extinct Owl Once Hunted by Day, Sara Novak,
Discover Magazine, June 6, 2022.
- Miocene Giraffe Had Disk-Shaped Headgear
and Head-Neck Joints Adapted for Head-Butting Combat, Sci News, June 3, 2022.
- Palms at the Poles:
Fossil Plants Reveal Lush Southern Hemisphere Forests in Ancient Hothouse Climate, Elaina Hancock, University of Connecticut Communications, May 31, 2022.
- Great White Sharks May Have Contributed to Megalodon
Extinction, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Science Daily, May 31, 2022.
- Dinosaurs Started Out Hot, Then
Some of Them Turned Cold, Asher Elbein, New York Times, May 28, 2022.
- Using Shark Teeth to Decipher Evolutionary Processes,
University of Vienna, Science Daily, May 12, 2022.
- Chile's First Complete Ichthyosaur Recovered From a
Glacier in Patagonia, Ben Robinson, Phys.Org, May 10, 2022.
- Discoveries Shed New Light
on the Day the Dinosaurs Died, Dave Kindy, Washington Post, May 9, 2022.
- We've Been Drawing These
Saber-Tooth Cats All Wrong, Anthony Ham, New York Times, May 7, 2022.
- Clasper Appendages Discovered
in Mid-Cambrian Trilobite Show Horseshoe Crab-Like Mating Behavior, Harvard University, Phys.Org, May 6, 2022.
- New Triassic Reptile Species Identified
in Brazil, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, May 5, 2022.
- New Carnivorous Dinosaur
Unearthed in Argentina, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, May 2, 2022.
- Christie's To Sell
a Dinosaur That Inspired the 'Jurassic Park' Raptor, Julia Jacobs, New York Times, April 29, 2022.
- Started Out as a Fish.
How Did It End Up Like This?, Sabrina Imbler, New York Times, April 28, 2022.
- Fossils of Three Giant
Ichthyosaurs Unearthed High in Swiss Alps, Sci News, April 28, 2022.
Fossils Glow Under UV Light, A Clue to Their Remarkable Preservation, Jennifer Ouellette, Ars Technica, April 26, 2022.
- Diamonds That Formed
Deep in the Earth Could Help Explain Earthquake Mystery, Seismological Society of America, Sci Tech News, April 23, 2022.
- Pterosaurs Could Control Their Color Using
Melanin Pigments, Sci News, April 20, 2022.
- Scottish Quarry
Fossils Belong to Long-Toed Lizard-Like Creature, Experts Say, Nicola Davis, The Guardian, April 14, 2022.
Discovery of Two Giant Dinosaur Species Solves the Mystery of Missing Apex Predators in North America and Asia, Darla K. Zelenitsky, The Conversation, April 10, 2022.
- 'Big John,' A High Profile
Triceratops, Locked Horns With Its Own Kind, Study Suggests, Jack Tamisiea, New York Times, April 7, 2022.
- US Agency Acknowledges
Damage to Dinosaur Tracks in Utah, Phys.Org, April 3, 2022.
- T-rex's Short Arms May Have Lowered
Risk of Bites During Feeding Frenzies, University of California - Berkeley, Phys.Org, April 1, 2022.
- Fossil Holds Clues to How
Some Owls Evolved into Daytime Hunters, Veronique Greenwood, New York Times, March 31, 2022.
- Spinosaurid Dinosaurs
Hunted Their Prey Undewater, Sci News, March 24, 2022.
- 5 Things
You Never Knew Microfossils Were Important For, Alice Weatherston, Blogs From the Natural History Museum (in London), March 22, 2022.
- A Sulphurous End for the Dinosaurs,
According to New Research, University of Bristol, News and Features, March 21, 2022.
- Amethyst, R.L. Squires,
Paleo & Geo Topics blog, March 19, 2022.
- Liquid Metal, Ruby and
Sapphire Could Rain Down on Huge Exoplanet, Rob Lea, Physics World, March 19, 2022.
- 36-Million-Year-Old Whale Fossil Found in
Peruvian Desert, Carlos Mandujano, Phys.Org, March 18, 2022.
- In France's Jura Region, Dinosaur Fossils Have
Left a Footprint on the Wine Industry, Lily Radziemski, Washington Post, March 18, 2022.
- Ancient Ancestors Evolved to be Strong and
Snappy, Study Finds, University of Bristol, News and Features, March 18, 2022.
- New Sabre-Tooth Predator
Precedes Cats by Millions of Years, PeerJ, Phys.Org, March 15, 2022.
- Cretaceous-Period Softshell Turtle Lived
Along Side Giant Dinosaurs, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, March 14, 2022.
Nizar Ibrahim: How Did We Unearth the Largest Predator in History?, Nizar Ibrahim, NPR, excerpt from TED Radio Hour,
March 11, 2022.
- Megalodon Grew
to Larger Sizes in Cooler Water: Study, Sci News, March 8, 2022.
- Fossil of
Vampire Squid's Oldest Ancestor is Named for Biden, Sabrina Imbler, New York Times, March 8, 2022.
- New Stegosaur Species Unearthed in
China, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, March 5, 2022.
Is Hiding Giant Dinosaurs Below its Surface, Sara Novak, Discover, March 4, 2022.
- Three Critical Factors in the End-Permian
Mass Extinction, University of Hamburg, Science Daily, March 1, 2022.
- New Technique
Unlocks Ancient History of Earth From Grains of Sand, Lucian Wilkinson, Curtin University News, March 1, 2022.
- They Want to Break T. Rex
Into 3 Species. Other Paleontologists Aren't Pleased, Asher Elbein, New York Times, February 28, 2022.
- Balkanatolia: The Forgotten Continent
That Sheds Light on the Evolution of Mammals, CNRS, Science Daily, February 22, 2022.
- A Skeleton From the Middle Jurassic of Scotland
Illuminates an Earlier Orgin of Large Pterosaurs, Natalia Jagielska, et al., Current Biology, February 22, 2022.
New Fossil Birds - From the Time of Dinosaurs - Discovered Near China's Great Wall, Field Museum, Sci Tech Daily, February 18, 2022.
- Explosive Fossil Fruit
Found Buried Beneath Ancient Indian Lava Flows, Florida Museum of Natural History, Science Daily, February 17, 2022.
- 72.5 Million-Year-Old Dinosaur
Footprints Discovered in Canada, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, February 16, 2022.
- First Evidence Indicating Dinosaur
Respiratory Infection, University of New Mexico, Science Daily, February 11, 2022.
- 110-Million-Year-Old Lizard Found in
Burmese Amber, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, February 9, 2022.
- One of Evolution's Oddest Creatures Finds a Fossilized
Family Member, Jack Tamisiea, New York Times, February 8, 2022.
- New Research Bites Holes Into Theories About
Megalodons, Jules Berstein, Phys.Org, February 7, 2022.
Water Was in the Solar System Before Earth Itself, Meteorite Reveals, Michelle Starr, Science Alert, February 3, 2022.
Botched Construction Project Damaged Important Dinosaur Track Site in Utah, Paleontologists Say, Tess Joose, Science,
February 1, 2022.
Did Male and Female Dinosaurs Differ? A New Statistical Technique Is Helping Answer the Question, Evan Thomas Saitta, The Conversation, February 1, 2022.
- Fish Bones and Water Lilies Help Pin Down
the Month the Dinosaurs Died, Michael J. Benton, The Conversation, January 25, 2022. The report in Nature
on which this article is based can be found here.
- Fossils From Bacon
Cove Could Rewrite History of Squid, Octopus, Patrick Butler, CBC News, January 25, 2022.
- The Ancient Whale From My Egyptian Home Town, Abdullah Gohar,
Nature, January 24, 2022.
- Double Whammy: Two-Pronged
Kill Mechanism in Triassic Era Extinction Event, Curtin University, SciTechDaily, January 18, 2022.
- Identification of One of the First
Multicellular Algae Thanks to its Chlorophyl Fossilized for 1 Billion Years, University of Liege, Science Daily, January 11, 2022.
- Researchers Discover Fossil of New Species of
Pangolin in Europe, Matt McGowan, Phys.Org, January 10, 2022.
- Huge 'Sea Dragon'
Named One of UK's Greatest Fossil Finds, Hannah Devlin, The Guardian, January 10, 2022.
- Grossular Garnet, R.L. Squires,
PALEO & GEO TOPICS blog, January 9, 2022.
- Fossils of a Prehistoric Rainforest
Hide in Australia's Rusted Rocks, Jack Tamisiea, The New York Times, January 7, 2022.
- A Crab's Eye View of the Ancient World, Jim Shelton,
YaleNews, January 5, 2022.
- The Isle of Wight's
Dinosaur Hunter: We're Going to Need a Bigger Museum, Hannah Devlin, The Guardian, January 3, 2022.
- Triassic Dinosaur Footprints
Discovered in Wales, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, January 3, 2022.