WebSightings from 2020
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to some
of these articles and news reports appearing in 2020 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2019 can be accessed here.
If you find any dead links, please email the . Thanks.
________________________ 2020 ______________________
- Extinct Giant Turtle Had Horned
Shell of up to Three Meters, University of Zurich, Phys.Org, February 12, 2020.
- Canada's Newest Tyrannosaur Is
Named for a 'Reaper of Death', Nicholas St. Fleur, New York Times, February 11, 2020.
Oldest Evidence of Modern Bees Found in Argentina, Michael Greshko, National Geographic, February 11, 2020.
- Fossil of Sea Monster With Needle-Sharp
Snout Found on Alaskan Island, Thomson Reuters, CBC, February 5, 2020.
- 'Oldest Bamboo' Fossil From
Eocene Patagonia Turns Out to Be a Conifer, Pensoft Publishers, Phys.Org, February 4, 2020.
- Fossil Reveals How Feathered Dinosaurs Differed From Birds,
posted by Eleanor Imster in Earth, EarthSky, January 31, 2020.
- Fossil Footprints Reveal
Ecosystem in Midst of a Mass Extinction, Gemma Tarlach, Discover, January 29, 2020.
- New Species of Allosaurus Discovered in Utah, University of Utah, Phys.Org,
January 24, 2020.
- 715-Million-Year-Old Fungi Microfossils Found, Natali Anderson,
Sci News, January 24, 2020.
- Stingray Stinger and Teeth, R. L. Squires, Paleo & Geo Topics: Comments blog,
January 19, 2020.
- Meteorite or Volcano? New Clues to the Dinosaurs'
Demise, Lucas Joel, New York Times, January 16, 2020.
- Oldest Known Scorpion May Have Been
First to Explore Land, Gemma Tarlach, Discover, January 16, 2020.
- Super Computer Scours Fossil Record for Earth's Hidden Extinctions, Ewen Callaway,
Nature, January 16, 2020.
- How Nodules Stay on Top at the Bottom of the Sea, Geological
Society of America, Phys.Org, January 14, 2020.
Stardust Is the Oldest Stuff on Earth, Ben Guarino, Washington Post, January 13, 2020.
- World's Oldest Slime Mold Found in Amber, Enrico
de Lazaro, Sci News, January 13, 2020.
- Oldest Guts
Ever Found May Reveal the Identify of a Mysterious Primordial Creature, Stephanie Pappas, Live Science, January 10, 2020.
- What Did Dinosaurs Smell
Like?, Riley Black, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, January 8, 2020.
Seashells Show Signs of Ocean Acidification Before Dinosaur-Annihilating Asteroid, National Science Foundation,
Phys.Org, January 7, 2020.
Fossils Will Modern-Day Civilization Leave Behind?, Eva Frederick, Science, January 6, 2020.
- Inspired Fossil Hunt
for the New Year, Kentuckiana Mike, Louisville Fossils blog, January 1, 2020.
- Researchers Learn More About Teen-Age T.Rex,
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences, Phys.Org, January 1, 2020.